What is a Cat Behaviour Counsellor UK
Anita Kelsey is a certified cat behaviourist (BA (Hons), MCFBA, CIDBT) after studying feline psychology and behaviour with renowned cat expert and biologist Roger Tabor and achieving a first class honours degree at Middlesex University based on her work practice. She runs a vet referral service dedicated strictly to the diagnosis and treatment of behaviour problems in cats. Anita is not an all round animal behaviourist but feline species specific. She has studied cats only and knows their behaviours inside out. She is a fully respected member of the Canine and Feline Behaviour Association (CFBA) . Click to Read more about the Canine And Feline Behaviour Association Of The UK.
Anita is a featured behaviour writer for Your Cat Magazine as well as being on their expert panel to assist with cat grooming enquiries. She also writes for on line magazine Style Tails as well as the CFBA’s behaviour magazine. She has also just joined YOUR CAT magazine as a featured writer and a cat grooming advisor on their expert panels letters page.
Anita Kelsey is based in Notting Hill, West London, UKBook a Home Visit
Cat Behaviour Counsellor UK appointments are available
Monday – Friday 8:00am – 6:00pm
“It’s important that the behaviour expert identified is someone with the appropriate knowledge, skills and experience to treat your pet. Anyone can call themselves a behaviour expert, but many do not possess up-to-date knowledge or the necessary skills required to treat pets with behaviour problems”
RSPCA (on finding a clinical animal behaviourist in the UK)
Anita’s goal has always been to gain the best understanding possible of everything feline, their origins, habits, patterns within their species, health, diet, breed personalities, needs connected to that breed – she wants to help change any problematic relationship between cat owners and their cats to harmonious. She has a particular leaning towards helping owners understand the needs of their indoor cats and, although not an advocate of keeping cats housebound, Anita will work hard towards getting the balance right in the home so that the cat has the most stimulating possible life indoors.
What kind of Unwanted cat behaviours or feline problems does a Cat Behaviour Counsellor UK deal with?
Anita can also be hired for cat expertise for legal reports/documents and legal reviews for cat related disputes/cat welfare issues.
Cats have individual personalities and Anita would prefer, if possible, to meet your cat to understand and get to know them and also see them in their territory. It’s also important to see how your cat(s) interact with you as well as any other family members and other pets. Speaking face to face with each client and spending quality uninterrupted time is really important in understanding the whole picture especially in complex cases. Your cat will always need to have seen a vet, before a home visit takes place, so that any medical causes are addressed or eliminated. Anita works closely with your vet to ensure the best possible outcome is reached. email your request for a vet referral form.
Steps to take regarding booking a Cat Behaviour Counsellor UK
- Email Anita with a brief outline of your issues not forgetting to include your postcode. You will then be guided as to whether Anita needs to hear from your vet (some consultations do not require vet referral)
- Contact your vet and ask them you wish to be referred for a cat behaviour consultation.
- Give your vet the link to download the vet referral form or you can print off yourself to take in. Your vet must then email the form to: email@example.com or you can bring the signed form home to email over.
- Anita will then discuss options * with you and send over a fee sheet. Once you have chosen the option you prefer full payment is required. Once payment is received you will be sent an in-depth behaviour assessment form and a date booked in to visit your home.
- A full observatory assessment will be made and discussed with you.
- A full report is then written up along with a behaviour modification plan. This report is also sent to your vet. Anita may ask for medical reports from your vet.
- Cat behaviour fees can be claimed back via your pet insurance but please always call your chosen insurers to check first.
A consultation with a Cat Behaviour Counsellor UK typically last around 2 hours but you are not on a timer so may go over! Consultations come with 6 week follow up support via email. You may also chat to Anita at a mutually convenient time over the telephone. A further visit may be required for difficult cases but will be at a reduced rate.
* Home visits are recommended in the majority of cases. Home visits give true value for money and are the difference between calling NHS Direct and seeing a specialist face to face in your home. There are so many factors to consider when dealing with any behaviours although, if distance is an issue with any client, consultations over the telephone, email or Skype will be considered. All cat behaviour consultations are thorough and continued support is always given.
Due to the amount of enquiries from cat owners, with cat related problems, in the US, Japan, Europe, and other countries around the world Anita is opening her consultancy to include INTERNATIONAL CAT BEHAVIOR CONSULTATIONS.
Cat behavior queries from international clients will still need a vet referral from their cat’s veterinary practice.
Please Try to keep a journal of your cats behaviour as this kind of information is vital. Video clips on your iphone of the behaviour in action is extremely helpful also.
Home consultations typically last around 2 hours but you are not on a timer so may go over! Consultations come with 6 week follow up support via email. A further visit may be required for difficult cases but will be at a reduced rate.
All enquiries most welcome. Travel fees will apply.
Your problem becomes Anita’s problem too and she will leave no avenue unexplored to resolve the issues and to bring peace to your household and leave both you and your cat happy again.
You are not alone so please do get in touch. Your enquiries are most welcome.